Effective treatment for bleeding gums with Dr. Alfred Penhaskashi is available but the first step is to understand why you are experiencing bleeding and swollen gums in Encino, CA.
What Can Cause Bleeding, Swollen Gums
- Bacterial infection (periodontal disease)
- Poor oral hygiene
- Medical problems and medications
- Menopause and pregnancy
Bleeding, Swollen Gums are Treatable
– Bacterial infections irritate gum tissue. Early symptoms include swollen gums, bleeding, and recession. If you have periodontal disease, it must be treated or the problem will likely worsen and can place the teeth and jaw bone at serious risk. Dr. Penhaskashi provides a gentle gum disease treatment using a laser to clear away bacteria and promote healthier teeth and gums.
Poor oral hygiene
– Removing plaque and bacteria from your mouth each day with brushing, flossing, and scraping the tongue is the first important step you can take to avoid bleeding and swollen gums. Only choose brushes with soft bristles and practice the proper technique. Harsh brushing can irritate and cause swelling and bleeding. Be sure to maintain regular checkups and cleanings, as well.
Medical problems and medications
– If you have an illness or disease elsewhere in the body, it could be affecting gum tissues. The medications prescribed to treat certain health problems can also have oral side effects, such as bleeding of the gums. If you have organ disease, sinus problems, lung infections, diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems or are taking medications for any type of ailment, speak with your medical doctor about possible alternatives. Some patients may even experience bleeding and swollen gums from taking birth control pills and over the counter painkillers.
Pregnancy and menopause
– Women who are experiencing hormonal changes during pregnancy and menopause are at an increased risk of developing bleeding or swollen gums and other oral problems, particularly gum disease. Being more vigilant about oral care and seeking professional treatment during these times is important.
There is help for patients with bleeding gums in Encino, CA. Call Dr. Penhaskashi today and arrange an office visit.