When all efforts to stop bad breath fail, it could be periodontal disease. Getting a proper diagnosis and treatment plan for halitosis in Encino, CA with Dr. Alfred Penhaskashi may be the next best step.
Why People Have Bad Breath
- Poor oral hygiene
- Gum disease
- Tooth decay
- Health problems
What Causes Bad Breath?
Poor oral hygiene
– The first step to avoiding bad breath is removing bacteria and plaque from your mouth each day with brushing, flossing, and scraping the tongue.
Gum disease and tooth decay
– Bacterial infections and tooth decay can create a bad odor in the mouth. Professional treatment is the only way to stop gum disease and decay, as these problems will not improve on their own. In fact, they will often worsen and can lead to serious problems, including bone and tooth loss.
– Eating the same strong smelling foods everyday may certainly give you chronic bad breath. Cheese, spices, fish, onions, garlic, and other strong foods must be fully processed by the body before the bad breath goes away completely. Mints and mouthwash will only do so much.
Health problems and medications
– Sometimes a symptom of illness or disease elsewhere in the body can manifest as bad breath and so can the medications prescribed to treat it. If you have organ disease, sinus problems, lung infections, diabetes, and other health problems, or are taking medications for any type of ailment, speak with your medical doctor about halitosis.
– Tobacco smoke and chew causes bad breath and can be deadly. If you use tobacco and need help quitting, we can assist.
– Not drinking enough fluid during the day can cause halitosis. Keep oral tissue moist with a lot of water and other healthy drinks.
Dr. Penhaskashi has helped countless patients with halitosis in Encino, CA – he can help you too! Call now for your private consultation.